National Nutrition Month® is an annual campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. During the month of March, they invite everyone to focus on the importance of making informed food choices, developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
Here at the Food Bank, our Nutrition Education Team put together a National Nutrition Month® Healthy Food Drive Calendar. So grab an empty box, and each day add one healthy item to donate. There’s a theme each week, and a few healthy tips for you along the way! At the end of the month, drop off your donation box at your local Food Bank Branch.
Calling all Technology Companies, Organizations and Groups!
Over the past year, the ways we have used technology to connect with one another has exponentially grown, and while so much of our lives seem to have moved to a virtual platform, our basic household needs remain ever present. With the loss of jobs, income, and in-person schooling, there are 38% more individuals and families struggling to keep food on the table. For the month of May, technology companies and organizations across the Food Bank’s 34- county service area are invited to raise meals in a friendly competition to fight hunger for bragging rights, an exclusive volunteer opportunity and a trophy!
Think your company has what it takes to win? Here is what you need to know:
- The competition runs from May 1st to May 31st, 2021.
- It will be a virtual event hosted on our Just Giving peer-to-peer fundraising platform.
- Registration begins April 1st, 2021. Sign up below!
- After registering you will receive Microsoft Teams invite for orientation being held on April16, 2021.
- After orientation you will create your own fundraising page with a unique URL to your own “virtual food drive” fundraising page. Share this link with coworkers, teammates, friends, family and even on social media! Every dollar donated can provide 5 meals for people facing food insecurity!
- Want to hold a physical food drive as well? Visit our food and fund drive page for information on drop-off locations and collection boxes. You can also download donation signs and a list of our most-needed items. Every 1.2 pounds of food is equal to 1 meal for a neighbor in need.
- Food donations must be dropped off at one of our branches by 4:00pm on Friday, May 28th to be counted in the competition.
- Bytes for Bites will have two winners: most meals raised overall, and most meals raised per employee.
- For more details or questions, please contact Michael Hooker, Community Donations Coordinator at email@example.com.
The Food Bank’s mission is to nourish people, build solutions, and empower communities. Thank you for believing in our mission, and our vision that no one goes hungry!
Every year, we come together to #StopSummerHunger.
When school is out – both in summer and during the school closures we’ve seen throughout this pandemic – we know that families struggle to keep food on the table. Communities and school districts come together to help ensure children and teens who are part of free and reduced-cost breakfast and lunch programs can continue to receive those meals, but there are gaps in services. Families also face increased expenses for childcare during the summer, and the cost of utilities rises along with temperatures.
Budgets for so many families are already stretched thin from the pandemic, with job losses and hours being cut, and the stress of covering these additional costs is very real. Donations of food and funds often trend down in the summer months, while need increases, and our network of partner agencies focuses on offering fresh, nutritious food for families experiencing hunger.
Together we can help ease the burden on families and ensure growing children get the nourishment they need to grow, play, and learn. Our #StopSummerHunger goal this year is to raise enough food and funds to provide 5 million meals.