Almost two weeks ago, the first drops of Hurricane Matthew began falling on North Carolina soil. Since then, thousands experienced power outages, flooding, and even evacuations. But when disaster strikes, the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina has a history of being there to help.
In the wake of Hurricane Matthew, our ability to distribute food and supplies to those affected by the disaster is especially important. During the relief and recovery from a natural disaster, the need for emergency food increases as displaced families seek precious resources.
And our staff, partners, donors, and volunteers have jumped right in to meet the need.
As of October 20, the Food Bank has distributed more than 500,000 pounds of disaster relief food. That’s almost half a million meals! We’ve sent 45 truckloads to affected communities in 18 counties across NC: Columbus, Craven, Duplin, Edgecombe, Greene, Hoke, Johnston, Lenoir, Moore, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Richmond, Sampson, Scotland, Wayne, and Wilson. Of course, it wouldn’t be possible without your donations or helpful volunteers who have packed hundreds of disaster relief boxes.
Sadly, we know the challenges facing our neighbors is not over. We are preparing to be helpers for as long as necessary. If you would like to support (or continue supporting) our disaster efforts, here’s what you can do:
- Donate Funds: Donate online at foodbankcenc.org/matthew For every $1 donated, the Food Bank can provide 5 meals.
- Shop our Virtual Food Drive: Buy groceries for affected families through our Virtual Food Drive »
- Donate Food/Items: During a disaster, these are the items we need the most. (We ask that you make every effort to drop off your food drive at one of our 6 warehouse locations, as our trucks and drivers are working extra hard to make Disaster Relief Deliveries.)
- Spread Awareness: Encourage friends to join the Hurricane Matthew Relief efforts. Click to share:
- Volunteer: We need volunteers in the Durham area to collect food donations on Oct. 29 (10am-4pm) and Oct 30 (noon-4pm). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.