By The Numbers
Wilmington Events & Blog Posts
With schools out due to COVID-19, there are active locations across our service area providing free grab-and-go meals for children. We will be updating the list as often as needed.
In addition, Sheetz has announced they are offering free Kidz Meal Bagz at these locations.
- Food will be distributed by volunteers at curbside or other designated area to minimize safety concerns.
- Social distancing is to be enforced by all.
- The food will be placed in safe and sanitized food containers.
- You will not be required to show ID.
- Children do not have to be present with you to pick up food.
Any organizations interested in filling a need and setting up meal pick up location(s) in our service area can submit a request to serve meals for kids.
More places to find food:
Anyone in our 34-county service area who needs help with food can visit our Food Finder page to look up local members of our partner agency network. (Live outside our service area? Find your local food bank here.)
More ways to give help:
As we shift our inventory to be as nimble as possible to meet the ever-changing need, funds are the resource we need most. They allow us to make purchases in bulk, and tailor our operation as needed in the coming days and weeks.
Also, the Food Bank greatly relies on our volunteers, especially in times of crisis. If you are a healthy adult and want to volunteer, you can self-schedule a shift at foodbankcenc.org/volunteer
More people than ever are facing hunger each day. We’ve already seen the COVID-19 crisis result in many families who rely on the free and reduced-cost breakfast and lunch programs unable to provide meals to their family’s table. Every summer we know that there are increased expenses for childcare when school is out, and the cost of utilities rise along with temperatures.
This year, summer hunger started early. Schools have been closed since March. Budgets for so many families are already stretched thin, and the stress of covering these additional costs is very real. The hardships that families often face during the summer months are already here, and extreme, due to COVID-19.
What can you do to help?
Because of COVID-19, none of us are eating out for lunch like we are used to. Join the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina at Wilmington and Share Your Lunch with a child, a parent, or a grandparent in our community. Here is how:
- You can host Share Your Lunch at your workplace. Use the Virtual Food Drive tool on the Food Bank’s website to ask your co-workers to Share Their Lunch (for a day, a week, or a month). You can register your drive with the Food Bank and track your workplace responses. Get started at foodbankcenc.org/vfd.
- If you are not connected with a workplace that is hosting Share Your Lunch, you can join the community-wide Share Your Lunch and make your donation at foodbankcenc.org/goto/shareyourlunch.
Many thanks to the Greater Wilmington Business Journal for helping us spread the word!
All branch locations will be closed on these upcoming holidays:
May 25, 2020 • Memorial Day
May 29, 2020 • 5th Friday (full day)
July 3-5, 2020 • Independence Day
July 31, 2020 • 5th Friday (close at noon)
October 30, 2020 • 5th Friday (close at noon)